Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

New-New Closet || Container Store Elfa Closet System

GUYS I KNOW ANOTHER CLOSET POST.

[Moving closet from bedroom to computer room]
[My Closet Essentials]

So not too long after I moved my closet to the other room due to kitten madness, Neil decided that he wanted to spend his bonus on getting us an actual proper closet. And who was I to say no? I mean, no lie, one half of me wanted so say REALLY WHY NOW I JUST MOVED EVERYTHING. But the other half was like, HELL YESSSSSS FINALLY HOUSE STUFF GETTING DONE. But really though, moving all those books in so many weeks was the pits.

The Container Store was having a sale, so he decided this was a good a time as any. He made measurements of the walls on the far side of our bedroom and booked an appointment for us to go after work. I had no idea how the process was going to go or what to expect at all.

The two ladies that helped us were SO HELPFUL and kind and had the saying "this is a judgment-free zone" anytime I felt a little embarrassed about details, like too many shoes or cats. They also said their cats loved their closets ;)

They have this nifty little program on their computers to input all your data and measurements and do a 2D mock-up of how it will look (front-facing and bird's eye view). Neil had a few edit suggestions, and once we were satisfied with the layout, they printed out the pricing and then we picked an install date. I honestly thought they would come by first and double-check our measurements, but they just trust you know what you are talking about.

You have the option to install it yourself, but Neil and I felt that would take us ages, and maybe some minus marriage points ;) and we just wanted it done. It was just one guy that came by to do the install, and it did take a few hours. BUT THE RESULT.

EDIT: I meant to post this ages ago (the closet was put in November 2018), or at least take a new "after" photo since we no longer have those ugly curtains and I bought Neil new hangers so that they would match mine. That just means I get to make another closet post ;)

We have now had the closet for almost a year now, and we still love it but are now figuring out what we need to modify based on our actual needs. Neil would like to add a half wall (we can't do a full wall, would interfere will the recessed lighting), and install shelves for his ever-growing shoe collection, replace the pant hangers with drawers, remove the sliding out shoe racks with another dress length pole. Luckily this system is modular, so we can do most of the changes we want even if we don't get around to the half wall. I'm still spending bits of time here and there re-organizing my drawers, still not "perfect" but getting there! Plus I just like organizing, ha.