Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Sunday Confessions || 10-28-2018

I CONFESS

These confessions were supposed to be posted LAST Sunday, but Neil and I decided to eat sandwiches and have sex instead. How I Met Your Mother, anyone?

I CONFESS

This is the most disorganized and behind schedule I've been with planning a Halloween party since I decided after my first one it was My Thing. I mean, it's not like I plan things 100 percent anyways. I normally plan things about 80%, then just kinda put things together until it looks good. I have various odds and ends about the house to fill any gaps in what I'm trying to accomplish. BUT THIS TIME. I'm like really not planned. I finally went through all the items I've been collecting for the party last night and... So. Much. Doesn't. Go. Together.

Let's start with my costume:

My costume FOR SURE isn't what I was picturing it at all. Originally it was going to be:

-leggings with a fish scale print
-flowy top with black netting overlay and seashells and pearls
-cute little pirate ship headband
-green hair extensions
-face jewels/makeup

The leggings were both tight and loose in the most unflattering way. Super tight on the legs, baggy in the crotch, and also made me immediately start sweating. Felt like I was wrapped in plastic!

The little ship has yet to be delivered, and I need time to assemble it, if it ever does get here before Saturday. (spoiler: it didn't)

The shells I bought but didn't bother to look at turned out to be MUCH BIGGER than I was anticipating. And they still smelled like the beach and I didn't think to soak and dry them until after I started gluing them to my costume. Plus I was running out of time for anything like that, I barely finished it the Wednesday before my party.

Also? Trying to craft with kittens is like SUPER FRICKING HARD. I was using these little half pearls with a sticky back to figure out placement before using a glue gun, and one day I came home from work and my dress form was on the floor and all the little pearls were no longer on the top. Oy vey. So my glue gunning was fast and sloppy, and there are no pearls on the back of the costume because I basically had to just redo all of my work really quickly.

I ordered a skirt to replace the leggings, so now a flowy top didn't look right, so I grabbed a black fitted tank from my closet instead. And none of my fishnet was black. Why didn't I think to check that??? I had yellow, blue, purple... The cats were very interested in what I was doing, and I had to be very careful not to get any glue on them.

Favors
The plan was for these cute seashell dishes to be filled with candy, the whole thing wrapped in tulle and tied with a ribbon with a charm. The pre-cut tulle did not fit over the dishes. Oh. That's fine. I can fix that, I'll just wrap the candy and nestle that in the shell. The candy I bought from Target which was supposed to have TWELVE pieces of candy only had 11 in one bag. So one favor is not like the others. GOD. And then my little cats wanted to eat all the ribbon. Like, LITERALLY EAT IT. These favors were completed the night BEFORE THE PARTY. WHO AM I. And I only planned for twelve and then Neil tells me we are expecting about 15-20 people. WHAT.

Other Party Projects
So for some reason every weekend leading up to the party I was busy and just didn't start any of my crafting projects At. All. Because apparently, I hate myself.

Again, the night before the party I quickly assemble my "Monster Battle" Board, and partially the Posiedons Wheel of Choice. Which still had all of last years Halloween decorations on it because I am if nothing, a lazy fuck. And I meant to get some underwater cutouts or stickers to use, and I didn't, so I had to brainstorm what to use to indicate what the punishment would be.

Which reminds me, I haven't posted about my Halloween parties for the past few years even though I have partial blog posts about them and photos, so I feel like as I'm typing stuff you guys are like what are you even talking about because at all my parties I've had a "tempt fate" type game...

Table Scape
These goddamn fishbowls. Which I needed to have because I had cards that explicitly state you need to make a fishbowl drink which makes no sense if there are no fishbowls!!!! I originally ordered a bunch from the Dollar Store, and then I totally didn't notice that I never received them until about a weekend before the party. So I go on Amazon and order some, says delivered on Monday, awesome good to go. Monday comes and goes... no fishbowls. On Wednesday I check Amazon, still says to be delivered on Monday. Which Monday Amazon? The one AFTER my party??? Ugh. So I cancel that order and order different ones from Amazon on my phone in the car to work and it says hey order now and get same day free shipping. GIMMIE GIMMIE just get me my dang fishbowls.

Again, to explain, every party I have these activity cards that are themed to the party to help facilitate guests get into the party mood. It sounds so un-fun this way but it gets everyone involved very quickly into all the stuff I have planned, and it's like a game in itself. It's a checklist of things you need to do to win a prize:

[] show up in costume
[] have your photo taken
[] guess the value of the treasure chest
[] make a fishbowl drink
[] participate in the Monster Battle

Plus a bunch of other things that just were not going right, not being what I expected, yadda yadda. Normally I really enjoy the planning and crafting but this time around I found it very exhausting. I thought I planned really easy things this year, but nope!