Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Family Recipe || Mom's Potato Soup


Ingredients

Baking Potatoes (four)
Leek (2)
Yellow Onion
Celery (1 stalk)
Shallot
Jalapeno
Butter
White Wine
Chicken Broth
Bay Leaf
Cream

Pepper
Bacon
Sour Cream
Cheddar
Chives



Instructions (Written out exactly how my mom messaged it to me) 

4 large baking potatoes, baked and cooled. Chop together 2 leeks, 1 yellow onion, 1 stalk of celery, 1 shallot, and 1 jalapeno. They can be rough chopped, going to be pureed later anyway. 

Sauté veggies in 1 stick of butter until soft, add the potato insides and stir. 

Bring the heat up, add 1/4 cup white wine and cook for a couple of minutes. 

Reduce back to low, add 1 quart chicken broth and a bay leaf. Cook for at least an hour. 

Puree until smooth. I've been using my Cuisinart, but have indulged myself in an immersion blender. Much easier and less to clean up! Anyway to the pureed soup add 1 cup of cream and bring back up to a simmer. Garnish with fresh ground pepper, chopped bacon, sour cream, grated cheddar, chives.


My Notes

The potatoes need to be baked first! So this recipe is great if you have leftover baked potatoes (does that happen??). I didn't read through that part first and definitely delayed my soup making. READING, it's like important and stuff.

This is one of my favorite soups that my mom would make during the winter, so I wanted to have a go at it. And of course, I didn't manage to get some of the ingredients so I had to pivot a little. I didn't have white wine so I used Rose, and I didn't have a shallot, so I used some dried shallots that I had in my spice cabinet. It still came out pretty good I think! Very easy to make, mostly just chopping and waiting. Oh, I also switched out the chicken broth for vegetable broth since that is what I had on hand. For my soup toppings, I used fresh ground pepper and some chopped green onions that I always have on hand in my freezer. My husband wasn't that enthused about the soup but he ate it.