Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

My new favorite lemonade recipe || Mint Lemonade

Since moving into this house, with the lovely lemon tree in the back, I have made a ton of lemonade. I even bought an electric juicer since I was having to squeeze so many lemons! And since shelter-in-place, I have doubled that amount just this year alone. From boredom? Possibly. But also lemonade is just really delicious. So I'm always on the hunt for that "perfect" recipe.

I wasn't sure what the "perfect" lemonade would entail, so I just tried lots of variations of using plain sugar, simple syrups, salt, zest, varying amounts of water to juice ratios...

But I think, I'm not very sure, but pretty close to it, I have found THE ONE. It's a little bit more work in some ways, but it's so worth it. You do need a high powered blender for this one, so if you don't have one, I wouldn't attempt this recipe.

I found the recipe on this blog here, and she had such a delightful story of having this drink during her stay/travels in Egypt. I'm not that cool so my story is that I found it online. From my house. The only thing I changed was adding a small amount of salt, I feel like it added a bit more depth to it, but who really knows. Her photos of her drinks look more frothy and green then I've managed to get mine, so I'm still working on that.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
2 lemons, sliced into fourths and deseeded
4 cups water
2 cups crushed ice
1 bunch mint leaves/divided, stems removed

Supplies:
Wire mesh strainer
High powered blender

Instructions:
Mix sugar with lemon juice until dissolved. Add sugar lemon mixture and all other ingredients (minus half the mint) into the blender. Blend on high until homogenous. Pour into a container using a mesh strainer to catch all the pulp. Add the rest of your mint. 

I like to top it off with a bit of vodka or rum for a nice Sunday afternoon treat. Tequila would work too. Or gin. Whatever your liquor of choice happens to be, I think would make a fine pairing, let's go with that 🍋🍸