Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Monday, August 24, 2020

A map of the current fires around San Jose || 2020

 So I realized from my Sunday post, that people not from here are not that clear about where the current fires are in relation to my home.

Last year, the major fire was the Paradise fires, which were very far from me, but with the "right" wind current, brought all the smoke to the Bay. So I don't know how other states cover our fires, but I think there were also some LA ones at the same time, so it just seems like fires everywhere all the time and everyone in Calfornia is about to lose their house to the flames at any given time. Not true.

And yes, it's fire season, so that is true. But usually, they are just small fires, are contained quickly, or are far from where I live.

This time... a little bit different.

I tried to zoom out to show San Francisco, which I'm hoping is at least the one city that is pretty easy to recognize where it would be on a full map of California. This is a map of the San Jose evacuation zones, that's why that portion is all red and yellow. Other counties also have evacuation zones, just not included in this map. Hope that makes sense.

Move down and to the right, there is San Jose, a good portion covered in the red, or the evacuation zone. San Jose is pretty large though, very spread out, so let's zoom in some more.

I live in South San Jose, not East, so let's zoom in some more (ENHANCE).

In that sunburst circle is where I live, so you can see why my air is so smoky. There are also some fires on the left-hand side in the Santa Cruz mountains, so getting smoke from both sides. And San Jose is in a Valley (hence Silicon Valley) so all that smoke just hangs out until it gets windy. Which we don't want right now until the fires are contained.

So I hope that clears it up!