Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

2020 || Trying to find a hobby

Anyone else trying to think of new things to do and try in this shelter-in-place? I know I have. I have some stuff that I already do: drawing, writing, reading, daydreaming, but I wanted to add some new stuff.

There were a few activities that I tried already but didn't really pan out for me because they involve using the television, my nemesis. So if I wanted to play my dance games or my new computer games, I would first have to see if my husband was using the tv, and if not, if he could help me turn on the TV and access my stuff and then also have him as an audience. 

I would rather have stuff that I can do independent of technology, and independent of asking for assistance. I'm a grown adult woman, dammit! 

Why are my computer games on the TV and not the computer? Well, Neil offered to buy some games I wanted to try out from Steam and asked if he could upload them to the TV so he could watch me play. I was like... sure? I have never played computer games on a TV or had anyone watch me play so that would be different. The first game did not go well because they did not design this point and click game to be POINT AND CLICK. So even with the keyboard, I was very frustrated with what buttons to use so Neil took over the game playing. I haven't tried to play any of the other games yet.

Pole Fitness
This was the first one I wanted to explore, I've been watching a lot of people on Instagram using theirs, and it looks like fun.
But, unfortunately:
--There were no pole fitness classes near my home, I wanted it to be something maybe I could walk to.
--All the ones in my city were closed anyway for SIP
--Even if they were open, did I really want to go to a class? Would I be comfortable with that?
--Ordering one for the house seemed a little much for something I hadn't tried yet ($700!!!)
--Even if I wanted to order, they were back-ordered
--And even if I paid the money, waited for the pole, where would I put it??? All my ceilings are vaulted, and the rooms oddly shaped, and the patio is extremely small.

Verdict: No.

Macrame
I watched youtube videos, followed r/macrame, followed macrame artists on Instagram, and finally ordered a beginner kit from Etsy. It came and I opened it and looked at the instructions and was like... oh this looks so complicated. I cut the pieces and put it off to the side, meaning to get to it once I had a moment of peace from the kitties since playing with strings around a bunch of cats seemed like a poor idea.

Verdict: Maybe but not cat friendly.

Baking
Baking involves lots of eggs, milk products, and dishes. A bunch of things I don't want. I bought a bunch of baking mixes, how easier could it possibly get, but I don't want to buy eggs. I looked up ways to replace eggs, but I'm too chicken to try it? Like if it comes out a horrible disaster, then I wasted all this money and time! But it's also a waste of money for the mixes to just sit in the pantry. I've heard chickens cooing in various locations of the neighborhood and I'm tempted to find which houses and sneak in their yard and steal their eggs. This isn't about the cost of eggs, at least I know these backyard chickens are being treated decently. I mean, at least I think they are.

Verdict: Eventually. I hope.

Rock Climbing
Again, SIP preventing exploring any climbing gyms.
Also: I don't know if I would be comfortable going to a gym at all even once SIP was over. I've never been to a gym and the idea doesn't sound appealing. I just want to climb a wall. I mentioned rock climbing to my husband, and he told me that when he worked at Great America (local theme park), he made friends with the people in charge of the rock climbing wall and would climb often and really enjoyed it. This could possibly be something we could both do once he feels comfortable with his weight loss to start some activity.

Getting one for the house: EXPENSIVE. Again, I don't know if I would even like it!
Building my own, less expensive, but really?? Build something I've never ever experienced before?

Verdict: No, but maybe in the future.

Indoor Plants
Finally, something that seemed doable! My husband would drive by our local Lowes and said the parking lot was almost always FULL and you could see how crowded the store was. He even passed by a nursery and saw the line down the sidewalk. Darn. So I scrounged around my house and found every random packet of seeds and tried to sprout them. I found watermelon, tomato, lettuce, and one pot seed. Only the watermelon and tomato sprouted (Edit: and now dying). I already had some tomato plants that I planted last October that are still going so... yay more tomatoes I guess. 

I also signed up for a plant of the month club for pet-friendly plants. That seemed like a good place for new plants, and a good pace to not overwhelm me. But this isn't something that takes up very much of my time. It does make the living area look better though!

Verdict: Barely a hobby.

Roller Skating
There are no roller skates to be had in my size that are not over 200 dollars, or not under 50.  I don't want a pair that is cheaply made and going to make me fall on my ass, but I'm not trying to be a professional over here. Though 200 isn't considered expensive in the skating world, more like mid!!! I watched a lot of roller skating review videos on youtube to get an idea of what I should get. 

I originally wanted to spend no more than 100 but found a pair that was 150... I was like, ok that plus protective pads are still a little pricy but doable. I could skate early mornings on the weekend since there are no people around my house early on Saturday and Sunday, this could work. I used to skate (both quad and rollerblading) when I was younger so I already know that I'm capable and I do enjoy it. 

Nope. BACKORDERED UNTIL OCTOBER. Why is everything I'm thinking of everyone else and their auntie has already thought of??? (Edit: apparently it's a thing on Tik Tok and has started a craze. Who knew?)

Verdict: Someday but not this year.

Hooping
My interest is mild at best. I just didn't think this would hold my attention for that long each day. I wanted to find an activity that I would want to do often, and for a fairly long time, at least an hour. Hooping for an hour? I remember hula-hooping during recess at school, but I usually preferred clapping/hand chants or jump roping. But at least if I wanted to do this, it would be really inexpensive, so that seems to be the only pro.

Verdict: Eh.

Jump Roping
YES! This was inexpensive and didn't need that much space, I could do this on my patio. I had purchased a jump rope a few years ago, but it was way too long, so this time I looked online what length I should get for my height. Most of what I read agreed on 8ft. So I went on Amazon, and there, for less than $15, looked like a decently reviewed jump rope. The only two cons are having to put shoes on (boo) and a supportive bra (double boo).

Verdict: I need to build up more endurance (I'm terribly out of shape, don't let my size fool you), but it's been fun and I immediately remembered how to do the crisscrossing, ha.

I think I would still have more fun roller skating, but this will do for now. I'm hoping to build up endurance to be able to jump rope for 15 minutes a day, like back in the day during recess. So I still need something else that would take more time!

What about you guys, trying out any new activities?