Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

That Electric Life || Power Outage

Edit: This happened back in 2017. Yes. ALMOST THREE YEARS AGO. Yes, I'm still going through old drafts.

It was... a weekend. OWNING A HOUSE IS AWESOME AND I TOTALLY NEVER REGRET IT EVER.

Saturday I'm trying to clean the house super duper cause my dad was coming into town for father's day and his 50th high school reunion. My dad is a VERY clean person so even though I knew I'd never get the house to his level, I had to try. I walk around the house to put some things into the trash bin and there is water pooled around it. That's weird. Where would this water be coming from? And the irony isn't lost on me that I seem to have so many WATER issues living in a DROUGHT.

Where or where indeed. I have only one idea that could be it but I really hope it isn't. I walk back around the house into the garage and yup. The hose from the washer had fallen out of the sink it just kind of lays in and I had run TWO LOADS of laundry at this point. The garage was full of soapy water with no real way to get rid of it since we had laid down those plastic interlocking floor tiles. We opened the side door and just hoped the heat wave would help us out here... Yes, I'm sure there is going to be some gross mold I'm going to have to deal with later. We did lay some towels around and I tried to mop up the water that was seeping up through the cracks.

I didn't have time to finish laundry and to clean those ucky towels that day, with my dad being here during the day and then me going to a friends house for a movie at night. But I figured I could finish it the next day after we came back from my husband's family's house for Father's Day dinner. Towards the end of the dinner, Neil gets a text that the power may be out at the house.

Oh. No.

Now, yes, the power being out is a bummer, but let me explain why it was a super bummer for us: We leave the house from the garage door, which is electric, and the front door and all other doors are bolted from the INSIDE. So how do you get inside the house if there is no power?

You have your brother rip out the screen to the bathroom window, the only one Neil leaves unlocked in case of this exact situation because he figures most burglars won't be able to fit but fortunately, his wife and family are tiny and can climb through. Yes, that is his contingency plan. TINY IN-LAWS.
I really thought I had a photo of my brother going through the window but I cannot find it. So this is the photo of my husband fixing the screen afterward. See how high up and tiny this window is???

The house was hot and humid as fuuuuck. We decide to go out for ice cream while we wait for the power to return. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea, oy. I had never seen the froyo place so crowded and so DISGUSTING. The lady in front of me was sampling ALL of the flavors (Neil whispering in my ear, bitch, you've never tasted strawberry before?) and getting a very small cup of frozen yogurt at the end of her binge. Another lady with her daughter tossed a completely FULL cup of raspberry froyo which depleted all that was left. Rude and disgusting. Cranky kids were crying and melting in their seats. I refused to get any toppings in fear of all the microbes from everyone's grubby hands. Normally this place is clean and quiet...

Neil had the air conditioner on a timer so it would be nice and cool for us to sleep after a 106-degree day. No such luck there. The bathroom toilet seat was so warm, I swear to god it felt like one of those heated ones. It honestly felt plugged in! And it's just a normal toilet seat! The power didn't turn on until almost 10, but we had to wait another hour for the air conditioning to cool the room enough to be bearable. 

It still wasn't.

I was just so exhausted by the time I got to work the next day. And then? THE POWER WENT OUT AGAIN MONDAY EVENING. WHYYYYYY.