Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Monday, May 28, 2018

March Instagram Challenge

I decided to challenge myself to post every day of March on Instagram. The idea stemmed from Tailwind adding Instagram to their scheduling app and they had a free trial for 30 photos. I thought hey, I should use this free trial and see if it ups my Instagram game or not.

I just had to upload 30 photos, make captions and hashtags, and arrange them in order and what day I wanted them to be published.

I feel like I take a lot of photos, but I didn't have 30 "Instagram worthy" photos, so I did have to dig back in my files to find some to reach my number goal. I was surprised that there were a few good ones that I hadn't shared yet. And then I was on the hunt to take some photos that would be decent enough to include to try to balance out the all of the older ones. Unfortunately, my social calendar was almost empty so there were not very many opportunities. This is to explain why there were so many from my day trip to Santa Cruz with my sister!

Tailwind can't actually post for you, you still have to manually do that, unless you have a business account. I thought about changing my account status, but I'm holding out, hoping Instagram will eventually introduce this feature to all users. But also because I'm not a business, that's probably the main reason.

I started the month with 111 followers, most of those being small businesses who are NOT interested in my account but looking to boost their own numbers. This method works though, I have ended up following a few back, so kudos to them.

I wanted to see if being more active, and posting my "best" photos would make a difference. Was all that time spent editing and curating and fussing worth it? AND YES THOSE WERE MY BEST ATTEMPTS OK.

Drumroll, please...

Followers Starting: 111
Highest Likes: 32 (watermelon bento)

Followers After: 120
Highest likes: 26

None of the new followers are "real" followers, just more businesses looking for a follow. Eh. I mean, I think I may continue to edit my photos before I post them, especially the cropping into a square to make sure it posts the picture how I want. I have been annoyed with trying to post a photo directly in the app and it gets cropped all weird. 

But I don't think I will ever bother with trying to post every day, that is just too much for me! And the results showed that all that effort didn't really make a difference AT ALL. So that was a bit demoralizing, ha. I look at other accounts with shittier photos with five times or more the followers and then I have to mentally slap myself I'm like OH MY GOD WHO CARES. But since this was a moment that I actually tried, I did care a little bit. But now that I'm back to not trying, I feel better and don't care. 

I do like the pre-scheduling aspect though, and I really hope that Instagram will offer that feature to everyone so I won't have to use a third-party app.

What about on your end, did it feel like too much? Like was it, oh my god this bitch again with a photo! Did anyone even notice the huge uptick in activity on my account that month? I know that since Instagram doesn't put everything in chronological order it can be easy to miss things.