Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Friday, May 1, 2020

Which sugar makes for a fluffier Whipped Coffee?

My first attempt at this whipped coffee trend was with brown sugar because I prefer brown sugar with my coffee (and most anything else). After some more "research" (ie random bored googling), it seems that white sugar gives the fluffier version. So then I wondered... how different is it with different types of sugar? Does it really matter that much? Let's put it to the test!

Keep in mind that two tablespoons of instant coffee is equivalent to SIX CUPS OF COFFEE. It's easier to whip with more ingredients in the bowl, but you can cut this recipe in half to just 1 tablespoon of each, which is what I did for my "experiment" of using different sugars.

Here is the basic recipe for the whipped coffee:

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
2 Tablespoons HOT water

Instructions

Measure out dry ingredients into a bowl. Pour in hot water (I used a kettle) to dissolve the sugar. Make sure the dry ingredients are dissolved before you start whipping. Use a hand mixer and mix 4-7 minutes.

Fill a glass partway with milk of your choice (I used coconut) and top with the coffee mixture. Stir and enjoy.
I went with what I had on hand in my pantry:
--White sugar
--Brown sugar
--Powdered sugar
--Meringue Powder with white sugar

I knew the meringue powder would fluff the most, I just didn't know how much or how it would impact the flavor.
Look at HOW MUCH FLUFFIER it came out! Wow! There was even more in the bowl, I just couldn't put more on top without worrying about it toppling over.

The white sugar and powdered sugar versions were the least bitter, while the sad brown sugar puddle was pretty bitter. So it seems the more whipped you can get it, the better the taste. I know that the brown sugar version can get a little fluffier, but I was trying to do each one with the same amount of time (plus I am lazy, this was over 30 minutes of whipping plus all the cleanup between batches. Even with the hand mixer this was tedious).

I would like to experiment with using the meringue powder again, but with the powdered sugar, and more of it. 

Have any of you guys tried making the Dalgona coffee yet? Have you created your own "twist" to the recipe?