Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

The Red Dress

So... I really hate to admit how many flippin red dresses I bought for one evening in Las Vegas. I mean, I hoped that whatever dress I got would also be used for other occasions in the future, but the first goal was Vegas.

Anyways, four. FOUR. Four fucking red dresses are in my closet right now.

Per usual, I had a few clothing store carts with items, trying to minimize how many places I would be ordering from for various items (some Vegas-related some not). Macy's had this lovely red dress from Guess that seemed like it would be perfect. I read the reviews on the dress and figured the XS would work (would have to, it was the smallest size). I bought everything at a thirty percent discount and was like, yes!

I got the dress, tried it on, and it looked... ok. From the front. I didn't bother to really turn around the first try on because, well, didn't think to? The waist was still a bit baggy for my tastes, but I was willing to overlook that since the rest was what I wanted (sexy but modest). I also noticed that the back was sheer lace (I noticed this when I took it out of the package), so I needed to find a red bra to wear with it because I only had black and beige.

A few more weeks go by, I try it on again to try to figure out what shoes I have would look best because I don't want to buy new shoes, I HAVE SO MANY, and then I look in the back... The end of the zipper crumples up weirdly above my butt. Because I have no butt to fill it out properly. DANG. I try pulling it down and walking around a certain way (really though, what was this going to accomplish), nope. Pulls up and crumples. So now I have a baggy waist and a baggy butt??? UGH. I didn't even bother trying it on with the new bras because there was really no point.

Back to the drawing board. And by that, I mean the internet.

Lulu's was the other store that had some promising items, and the two I liked were on clearance, no returns. Fine, whatever. Again, I read the reviews and bought both in an XS. The skater, lacey one came first. It fit well (front and back), but was otherwise just too, well, too cute, and not really the look I was going for. But good for some other occasion! You know, all those things I do where a dressy red dress would be appropriate. Also, a week after, I saw one of my friends post a picture on Facebook, and she was wearing the same dress!!! She isn't going to the Vegas trip, but now it felt weird like I would be copying her if I wore it??? But I already decided against the dress, for cuteness reasons, so fingers crossed for the next one!

The form-fitting one from Lulu's came, in XS, and for the first time in a looooong time, the dang thing was, get this, TOO SMALL. I KNOW. WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT. I couldn't even zip it up all the way up my back! WTF. This is a tiny dress!!! But the front was perfect, and the thickness was great, no worries about bra and panty lines (well, as much as one can ask for in a $30 dress). So I go back online and order it AGAIN. This time in a small. What I'm learning is that reviews are not very helpful for me in determining my size. I just figure if someone has the same waist size as me, and height, and WEIGHT, like, how are we NOT GOING TO WEAR THE SAME SIZE.

Also, Lulu's has an amazing sorting system for the reviews, I love it.

It arrives and I try it on and thank god, it fits, not baggy, not too small. Who I am, fucking Goldilocks of the red dresses? So two out of the four I'm going to keep, the other two are going onto my Poshmark closet.

Now to figure out the shoe dilemma! I have some banging cute ones, but not very walkable. Then some (much) less sexy but walkable. I think I'm going to go with walkable because hotel lobbies in Vegas are ridiculously huge, and I will probably be drinking, and I don't want to be distracted by hurt feet, and shoes I'm wobbling in. And I better not hate this dress once I'm actually wearing it otherwise I'm just going to have to fire myself.

Anyone out there been to Vegas? How did you plan your going out outfits???