Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Monday, July 23, 2018

Blogging Advice || Super obvious way to come up with content


Running dry on ideas of what to write? Need just a little nudge in a direction?

What has someone searched for on your blog? Assuming you have a search bar? Do you have any posts relating to that search? If not... boom!

Real life example: someone visited my site from a comment I made on another website regarding hangers. They then used my search bar to search for "petite hangers" and of course, nothing came up because I don't have anything on this blog about my closet.

Yes, that is only one person, but if one person would find that interesting/useful, why not??? So I am now working on a post about my hangers because I know that at least one person was interested!

Supposedly you can find this info in Google Analytics, but I must confess, I find that mess of data CONFUSING AS HECK and even following simple instructions from better bloggers, this did not help me.

Instead, I get my info from StatCounter, and in a super clumsy manner. Since my traffic is so low, I can randomly check "recent page load activity" and not miss anything. If they used the search bar, it will show up in there. There is probably a better way but *shrug* this is my current method.

I use to be able to see keywords that people typed into Google search and then clicked on my blog, but Google changed their stuff on that a few years ago and StatCounter can't show you that info. Super sad face. That used to give me such a giggle! I'm sure this info can be found on Google Analytics but that site is the devil so I will continue to be in the dark on that front.

But knowing what people are searching specifically on your blog vs just trying to find on the entire web is pretty useful! So whichever way you can go about to see what people are using your search bar, go ahead and turn that into a blog post!

Do you already use this "trick" to think of content? Do people even use your search bar?