Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Sweet Potato Soup || Home Chef Recipe

I started Home Chef again for a few reasons:

-I wanted to get back into cooking (got lazzzyyy)
-find new and easy recipes to add to my repertoire
-help my husband with his portion control

This time around, I wanted to only pick the vegetarian options and if those were a miss, then look into the bivalve recipes, and if those were a miss, then the fish. But no poultry or pork or beef. This system worked for a few months until my husband got tired of no meat. Sigh. So I then let him pick the meals, the only rule that at least one of the three had to be vegetarian!

My original plan led me to pick this soup recipe, which I don't think I would have picked before my less meat venture, and let me tell you, I would have been missing out! This was really yummy! Even my husband finished his bowl and was like that was really good, what was in it? That made me so happy since I was batting 0-2 at this time with him. I was a little concerned, because when I tasted the poblano pepper to test how mild/hot it was, it was VERY mild, like bell pepper, and my husband doesn't like those.

All the simple things!!! (link to original recipe)

Ingredients
2 Sweet Potatoes (cubed)
1 Poblano Pepper (diced)
1 Shallot (minced)
1 Corn on the cob (remove kernels)
1 TB Taco Seasoning
4 ts Mirepoix Base (Veggie better than bouillon)
1 3/4 cup Water
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Avocado
Lime
Cilantro

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Prep veggies: slice avocado, cut lime in quarters, mince cilantro, cut off corn kernels, cube sweet tomatoes, mince shallots, dice poblano.
--in one bowl combine diced poblano and minced shallot
--in another bowl, combine cubed sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper
--in another bowl combine corn and taco seasoning
Place sweet potatoes on a pan lined with foil and roast 14-20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Heat medium pot with 1 TB olive oil
Once hot, add poblano and shallot for 4 minutes
Add corn mixture, stir for 30 seconds
Add water, mirepoix, 1/4 ts salt, a pinch of pepper and bring to a simmer.
Stir occasionally and cook for about 4 minutes
Stir in roasted sweet potatoes, and remove from heat.

Top with sliced avocado, cilantro, and lime juice.

Also, I would totally just eat roasted sweet potato like a snack. And I was while I was cooking, ha. My only changes to the original recipe were to use sliced avocado and cilantro as the topping and to double the sweet potatoes.