Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

High School Crushes

A friend of mine was contacted via Facebook by a guy from her past that confessed that she was his first "crush" (it um, was a lot more sexual than I'm going to go on here) and it made me wonder if there was ever anyone in my past that crushed on me without me knowing it. 

The "not knowing" it would be very plausible because I suck balls at figuring out if someone likes me. If you are a shy introvert, forget us getting together. You have to be relentless to get my attention. But let's be real, no one was crushing on this:
That's me in the middle (I'm sure that much is obvious, lols), freshman year of High School.

A friend I had in High-School, that I called Toast Boy* that would be the only person that I would think maybe had a crush on me, but that would be a stretch. I gave him this nickname and I really hope he was okay with it... I really didn't even know his first name before I gave him the nickname and when I introduced him to other friends, I introduced him as TOAST BOY, so THEY didn't even know his real name.

If this was true (him having a crush on me), I wish I dated him instead of the turd I was dating. But then I might not have met my current husband so I guess I wouldn't change that. I really like my current life, so even in fantasy, I don't like changing things in the past... But he was a really nice guy and I enjoyed hanging out with him, wish I kept in contact but would feel weird now to connect. I looked him up on Facebook and he is married with three beautiful daughters and looks happy! Yay Toastboy!

I closest thing I had to a crush in High School was this guy that my friend at the time also had a crush on. My friend had a major crush on him, plus a few other guys. She would have us follow her crush of the day during lunch sometimes. One of her crushes would walk with his best friend with a leash around his neck and the other guy holding it. I'm pretty sure they were more than best friends :)

I ended up being in the teaching academy with my friend's crush, so I saw him in History and English every day. I don't remember crushing on him HARD, but I think I was aware of him and such because my friend had a huge crush on him and I developed one by proxy? I really can't remember. I do remember having summer algebra with him and he was the first to ask me about me switching from glasses to contacts. I didn't even know that he paid that much attention to me and I think I kept my response short (terse?) from surprise and he didn't try to talk to me again. Way to go Heather, so smooth. 

Wait, that's a lie, he tried to tell me the right way to put in eyedrops a different day because I guess his mom was an optometrist (I had glass contacts at the time and usually I used eyedrops to try to get some smudge or junk off of them, not to wet my eyeball). And he said one of my drawings of a hand holding another hand looked phallic. Now that I think of it, he was kind of annoying.

I decided to look him up on Facebook as well, and his Facebook photo was him sitting on a living room couch with a live chicken chilling on his lap with his face cropped out. 

High school was not my best years, so I would put the prospective crush meter at 2 or less (I actually had a boyfriend, not sure how I managed that). I was super awkward, made questionable fashion choices, had lots of acne, and didn't really know what to do with my hair. Oh wait, that's me now. Dang. Well, aside from the lots of acne, now I just have mild adult acne. Yay, progress?

The first photo was me at 14, not too much improvement for 17. Gaze at the glory that is my triangle hair:
*I can't remember what the exercise was for class (probably tell us a story where you got mad or something embarrassing), but he told a story in class about how his mom was making breakfast and he was misbehaving so he had to stand outside while his friends (siblings? also I think he was adopted) got to finish the toast (french toast?) and he had a bit of a tantrum about it. So he was pressed up against patio glass all sad watching his friend eat french toast. I probably have this story completely miss-remembered. But anyway, I called him Toast Boy forever after and he was always my first choice for any activities in class that I needed a partner.