Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Monday, May 11, 2020

The Perfect Summer Dress

One thing my wardrobe is seriously lacking is warm-weather clothing. Which is surprising, considering I live in an area that is mostly warm weather year-round, and with very warm summers. It's just not my favorite for a few reasons.


Modesty

I'm a fairly modest dresser. My husband makes fun of how many layers I wear at any given time, and if I'm wearing heels, there is a high chance I am also wearing pantyhose. I don't like showing too much leg, or my back. Or too much cleavage. Or my toes. Do you see the problem here?


Fit

There are always very cute maxi-dresses and soft pants, but these are usually too long for me (either in the length or the straps) and I am never going to get anything altered despite one pile of stuff in my room that is supposed to eventually get to a tailor might tell you.


Shoes

Let's say I finally find a dress or outfit that is summer appropriate. What freakin shoes do you wear in the summer if you don't want to wear flip-flops or strappy sandals??? I have one pair of soft pants, with a paper bag waist, and they have a slightly tapered leg that falls at my ankle. I cannot for the life of me figure out what shoes I have that go with these pants. The answer is none. So now I have to buy a pair of shoes that just go with these pants??? But I'm at a loss as to what those shoes would even look like.


Bras

Most summer dresses and tops always require specialty bras since the straps are so thin, or racerback or the armholes are large. So you need strapless or convertible or cute bralettes meant to peak through. A whole season needs its own set of intimates!

So my goal for summer 2020 was to figure. this. out. The summers only keep getting warmer here, so it would be in my best interest to actually have clothes that don't make me a sweaty mess!


I decided to just lean on "lazy fashion" for this problem of mine to try to simplify it. Lazy fashion means two things to me:


Dresses

Dresses are the ultimate lazy fashion item! It's just the dress and shoes and done.


Colors

Lazy fashion part two is having multiples of the same item. So find one perfect item, and buy it in all available colors.

OMGOSH. This dress is just perfect! Not only does it cover my back and cleavage, but it's also a decent length for work. PLUS it comes in a lot of colors! I wish I found this dress last year because on Nordstrom Rack this dress was available in like TEN colors! Fingers crossed they release this many colors this year.

The ruching and overlapping tulip skirt gives it visual interest and hides any bumps and wrinkles lurking about underneath. At least in the front, the back is a little less forgiving, so seamless undies is probably preferred. 

I bought three of these dresses. I bought one for traveling to Florida and I was surprised at how much I liked it so I then bought two more. I would have bought even more, but they were sold out in those colors in my size. 

I'm still a little iffy on what shoes I have that will work for this dress outside of work (for Disneyworld, I wore sneakers for practical reasons), but that is a project for another day.