Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Pico de Gallo (Re-Visited)

I posted a recipe on my old blog It's Like A Potato of how I made Pico de Gallo and my recipe has since changed a little bit, mostly the volume, ha. I feel like this photo makes it look more onion heavy than it was, I swear there were more tomato pieces.

Ingredients

6-8 Roma Tomatoes
1 Large Red Onion
1-2 Jalapeno
1 Cilantro Bunch
Lime Juice (fresh if you have it, otherwise the juice in those little lime bottles is perfectly fine)
Kosher Salt (the type of salt is important! somehow. I feel like it makes a difference!)

It's mostly just a little bit more specific, plus I eat so much of it during the summer I figured why not post it on this blog as well. Like, I'll seriously eat the whole dang thing in one afternoon on my own. My intentions are to portion it out for during the week but that never happens.

I like to eat mine with the touch of lime tortilla chips. Lots more salty lime goodness!


Instructions

This is going to take a while depending on your knife skills, it's just all chopping. I start with the tomatoes because this takes me the longest. I cut them in half with a serrated knife (I just feel that works better for tomatoes!), clean out the guts (get rid of all the seeds) and then slice them all in little strips (I believe this is called "julienned" but whatever). Then dice into little pieces.
Next is the onion. Cut in half so each half still has a root end. Peel off the first layer, and make vertical cuts all the way across almost to the root but not quite. Then cut horizontal and you will have perfectly cut little pieces.

Before I cut the second half of the onion, I mix the tomatoes and onion to see how homogeneous it looks. Onions vary in size so you may or may not want to use the whole onion. I usually do. Moar onion!
You might want to put on gloves when cutting spicy things, I almost always forget and go to rub my eye or something equally stupid after handling a jalapeno so maybe I should wear gloves. That is something that my mom does and it's really not a bad idea. Anyways, cut it in half, de-seed and remove the whiteish membrane. Cut into little strips, then dice. Taste a piece and see how hot it is, I find that each pepper can vary widely, sometimes they can be really mild so you might want to add another one.

Next is the cilantro. I just keep chopping and chopping until it's super minced. I don't bother taking the leaves off of the stems, I just avoid the very end of the stems, but the parts with all the leaves are good to go, just chop it finely. I like it to be really tiny and wet because I want it to coat all the other veggies.

Now add salt and lime juice and mix! If using limes, roll it around on the cutting board, pressing it a bit with your palm before slicing it to make it easier to juice. Now add salt. Taste and see if you need more, probably yes. It will gain more flavor as it sits, so be careful not to over-salt it. You will be also most likely eating it with chips, so it shouldn't be too salty.

I brought this to a party once and even the guy who hates vegetables ate it! Though my husband said it doesn't count as a veggie and I'm like, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE IT'S NOTHING BUT VEGETABLES. I mean, botanically speaking a tomato is a fruit, but so are cucumbers and avocados, and no one is putting those things in fruit salads so let's just stick with the idea that these are vegetables, ok?