Faerie Eye

introvert with me

Monday, August 13, 2018

Strong Opinions || Five Design choices people make for their blogs that just straight up suck


SUPER TINY PHOTOS

Like, why even include them? If I can practically cover it with my thumb on my laptop screen, IT IS TOO SMALL WHAT IS THE POINT. You do know you can resize them, right??? Photos should be the same width as your paragraphs.


SUPER TINY FONT

I feel like this is self-explanatory....but...SO HARD TO READ. You shouldn't make it a chore to read what you write.


LIGHT COLORED FONT ON A WHITE BACKGROUND

I've only come across this once: thin, squiggly pink font on a white background. What fresh hell is this??? Just put your blog as private cause no one can read that shit.


THIN COLUMN

Having your blog post this super thin column in the middle of the screen... Why do you want five inches of blank space ON BOTH SIDES. Do you not realize how it looks? Why do you want so much unused space? And this is just on my laptop, which isn't big. It starts to look super fucking ridiculous on my PC. It literally is just a three-inch stripe on my screen. SO ODD AND WEIRD TO READ. It's like reading the world's longest fortune cookie.


WRITING IN THE THIRD PERSON

Normally if I see this, it's on the about page. YOU WROTE IT, NOT YOUR PUBLICIST. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A PUBLICIST. You have three followers and one is your cat! Oh, wait, that's me. But still. If you are not a blog with a lot of followers, this just comes across super strange and a bit try-hard. And okay, not really a "design" aspect but still eye-roll worthy.


STRANGE AD PLACEMENT

Such as: Putting ads right above your blog post but below the title. It makes it seem like the ad photo is supposed to be the photo to go along with your blog post. It can be really jarring, especially if you just let any old ad that doesn't have anything to do with what you've written. It can be very offputting. Here's a crazy face of Hilary Clinton and a bowl of... brown sludgy gross stuff... right above my post about Fourth of July! What.

Are you guilty of any of these? TELL ME WHY.